Image yourself at your wonderful beautiful home, your peaceful sanctuary. Maybe you’re having your morning cup of coffee or watering your inside plants, and then you notice water spots on the ceiling, baseboards that are warping or even worse black mold. Aghhhh! Don’t worry we are going to give you tips to prevent this.
Did you know
Water damage in the home is often caused by a small problem that worsens over time. Issues such as a leaky pipe, roof damage, wax toilet ring that fail or even condensation can lead to extensive water damage to your home if not noticed or not addressed.
Water damage anywhere in the house can be an expensive ordeal, particular your kitchen. Fortunately, there are preventative steps that you can take to help avoid water damage in the kitchen.
Prevention is key
There are a few simple steps you can take to protect your house from water damage.
• Inspect all water hose connections to make sure that they’re snug.
• Look for wet spots that can be a sign of a loose connection or a pipe threatening to burst.
• If you have a dishwasher, check the hose for leaks.
• Check and clean the refrigerator drip pan and ice-maker connections. Also, make sure that the float switch in the dishwasher is clean and not corroded.
• Inspect traps and drains under the sink. Discolored or warped flooring materials or damaged cabinets are signs of leaks around the base of the sink.
• Make sure drains are clear.
Have a plan
The unexpected can always happen, no matter how careful you are, unfortunately. Every minute counts when it comes to water damage, so it’s important and beneficial to have a plan. First, it’s important to know where the main water valve of your home is located. In case of an emergency (such as a broken appliance or busted pipe), you will need to shut off the main water supply to the home as quickly as possible. If a supply valve, which connects to specific appliances, is easier to reach, you can turn this off first, but the main line should be turned off as well. Educate other family members as to where these valves are located.
Don’t let things go without a professional inspection.
Woodlands Water Restoration is available to help in Houston, TX, Harris County, Montgomery County, and all of the surrounding areas if you should require water damage restoration in your home.
Call us today at 281-795-5736. We will be there within 1 – 3 hours and give you a free damage evaluation, will answer any questions you have and can guide you through the insurance process if need be.